So many people ever asked me what’s the reason affecting the wireless wifi performance, as a network of technology worker, I am so happy to answer these questions.
First of all, I should say that this is a problem at the wifi system level. The following 21 reasons are common factors which affect wifi performance. In fact, all the problems can be summed up in three areas, the Hardware, Software, Environment.
Hardware, Mainly associated with the wireless router’s board.
- RF Transmit power. It represents the size of the wireless signal’s energy, also it affects the transmission distance of the wireless router,and the ability to penetrate the wall . You should enter in the router’s configuration dashboard, some products let you make a selection for the transmit power of the access point. Generally, the options are Full, Half, Quarter, Eighth, and Minimum ,and the default is Full. One thing we suggest is that decreasing the transmit power if more than two APs are close together and use the same channel frequency. And you should remember that the transmit power may vary depending on the local regulatory regulations.
- RF Receiving sensitivity. Basically, this parameter may be more difficult for the consumer to understand, but if you are a R&D or a hardware geek , you must know its importance. It determines the wireless signal coverage, whether it can effectively upload network resources or not especially at the long distance.
- Wireless Antenna. We remind that if you are choosing a wireless router, you’d better pay attention on the antenna gain, efficiency, etc. and external antenna may have a better performance than built-in one . Because a good antenna system contributes to the transmission and reception of wireless signals.
- Dual frequency signal interference. This issue exists in many dual-band and tri-band products. Because the spectrum bandwidth of the 5G wireless signal is wide, it is easy to generate noise in the 1G-5GHZ band when it is at work, especially when 2.4G wifi and 5.8G wifi work at the same time. Generally in the very expensive router inside, they have solved this problem on hardware by designing a bandpass or low-bandpass filter ,This indicates a rise in design costs .
- Pay you attention on USB3.0 . Have you ever encountered such a problem, sometimes you are using USB3.0 device on the router, 2.4G wireless signal connection speed will be poor or even broken. That is because the noise generated due to the USB 3.0 data spectrum can have an impact on radio receivers whose antenna is placed close to a USB 3.0 device and/or USB 3.0 connector. The noise is a broadband noise that cannot be filtered out, since it falls within the band of operation of the wireless device (2.4–2.5 GHz).The noise degrades the signal-to-noise ratio that the wireless receiver sees and limits its sensitivity. This then reduces the operating wireless range of the device. One suggestion is using a USB extension cable to leave the USB device away from your wireless router to reduce interference.
- Wireless standard. If you are using some other wireless devices under 2G wireless standard , such as microwave ovens, Bluetooth, etc., it will also affect the wifi link rate.
- Thermal design. Mini-type wireless products generally have a balance between heat dissipation and wifi performance, when the wireless is under high traffic , the system will overheat lead to wireless performance degradation. So when you choose a wireless router, pay attention to the product’s thermal design.
- Choose a chip solution platform. Chip process technology, hardware architecture and CPU processing capabilities will have an impact on wireless performance . In the field of wireless solutions, the better selection order is Broadcom -> Qualcomm -> MTK -> Realtek ->Others …
2Software , Mainly some configrations and services.
- Select a wifi working mode . The repeater mode of the access point, bridge mode, AP mode, etc., will have different wireless performance.
- A clean channel . To 802.11n, for example, only 3,6,11 these three channels are non-overlapping, if all the surrounding equipment to select one of the three channels, it will cause the channel to seize and block resources. If you choose the adjacent channel, because the spectrum has a cross-component, it will cause some interference. So, “to avoid the channel” is also a means to enhance performance.
- Country code. Choose the right location, the transmit power may vary depending on the local regulatory regulations. Refer to the 1st key point [RF Transmit power].
- Encryption algorithm selection. The encrypted wireless network throughput will be lower than the open network. If you do not mind the security issue, you can try to disable the WEP, WPA, or WPA2 encryption .
- Algorithms or related configuration options. LDPC, SGI, STBC, etc. will improve performance. Bandwidth, modulation mode and other options.
- Compatibility with older standards. Maybe your mobile phone, pad, laptop and other device is under the old wifi standards, such as only to support the 802.11g protocol, that means your wifi link rate is limited as max as 54Mbps . It’s far recommended that in case you need to experience the total capability of recent requirements of technology, you replace all present, vintage gadgets that could limit your network performance.
- Wifi signal sharing. while an increasing number of customers get right of entry to the wi-fi network, this connection sharing method that the get entry to factor must try and speak with more devices.The get right of entry to point have to allocate its assets to every person primarily based on the quantity of radio it’s miles going for walks. complete-duplex devices can ship and receive information at the equal time, while 1/2-duplex devices can best be despatched or received at any time.
- Network load and usage. You will discover that the extra customers which are utilizing the network bandwidth, the less that there’s to proportion among them. As bandwidth requirements increase to your community (video streaming is one bandwidth in depth utility), you could need to put money into equipment that can cater for excessive throughput speeds to preserve the overall performance and network reliability at a excessive degree.
- Internet Service Provider Speed. In the front of we discussed some hardware troubles, in reality, hardware issues may not be the perpetrator to sluggish down the network velocity. every now and then the trouble can be the result of a gradual net carrier that could definitely be provided by way of an internet service issuer .some contracts are supplied in alternate for a less expensive month-to-month rate to provide a lower connection pace. If this is the case, users want to touch their ISP to speak about improvements to exceptional connection eventualities.
3Environmental ,Your house environment
- Chose a right placement .Put your wireless access point in an empty location, preferably in the center of the house, as far as possible no shelter is around. So that the wireless signal RSSI can get a more balanced strength, that can be effectively transmitted.
- The material and structure of your house. The wood walls, load-bearing walls, glass walls brings different signal attenuation for wireless signal , that will take an effect on wifi link rate. Especially 5G products, it has the greater degree of attenuation under the non-line-of-sight transmission model, and is more sensitive to external noise.
- Environment climatic factor. Yes, we are not kidding, from our many years of wireless product development experience, we can make a conclusion that such as rainy days, haze days, will have a great impact on the wireless signal and so on , in this environment, the wireless signal Multipath fading effect is more obvious.
- Wireless communication distance . Obviously the farther the communication distance means that the signal will be weaker and the wireless rate will be lower.